Portlock Wireless LAN frequently asked questions
Date published: October 2, 2008
Date modified: November 10, 2008
Why did we add support for Wireless LANs?
Wireless LANS are very popular in all types of environments: Enterprise, Small Business and SOHO. A number of our customers have systems that only connect to the company network via wireless. Therefore supporting wireless LANs become an important factor.
Which version of Portlock SMART Suite supports wireless LANs?
- All versions of Portlock SMART Suite support wireless LANs
Which version of the Portlock Boot CD supports wireless LANs?
- Portlock Boot CD x86 version 5.08 and newer.
- Portlock Boot CD x64 version 5.08 and newer.
How are wireless networks managed from the Portlock Boot CD and Portlock SMART Suite?
Wireless networks are managed with the Portlock WiFi Manager. This tool is located in the Networks menu.
Which wireless authentication methods are supported?
Profiles are automatically created for the following authentication methods:
- WPA Personal
- WPA2 Personal
Portlock WiFi Manager supports modifying profiles to support any form of wireless authentication.
Which wireless adapters are officially supported?
Most wireless cards work with the Portlock Boot CD and Portlock SMART Suite. Portlock has confirmed that the following adapters are fully functional on the Portlock Boot CD and Portlock SMART Suite:
- Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG
- Broadcom BC4320
- Realtek RTL8178B Wireless 802.11g 54 Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter
- Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
- Lite-On USB Wireless 802.11 g/b Adapter. Note: manual driver installation from Portlock Device Manager is required for this device to function properly.